Saturday, July 21, 2012

The Trouble With Being "Out There"


I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but if you're out there someone is going to copy you or hate you.  Such is the nature of our species.  My point of view, take it with a grain of salt, decide that it's your opinion that matters to you and let the rest slide.

This post is inspired by one I just wrote about my thoughts on Pinterest.  In speaking to some artists and crafters I have noted a lot of nervousness we'll call it, about being copied or their ideas being stolen, or them receiving criticism.  My response?  SO WHAT!  As an artist & crafter, no I do not want you coming into my store seeing something I made, going to yours (or starting one) and saying that my idea is yours and you came up with it all on your own.  But if I don't know about it, and it doesn't ever come to my attention, what am I going to do about it?  Not a damn thing, that's what!  And really whatever, I mean I'm a little sick to death with any whining about being "copied" I hear.  There are no original ideas.  Chances are someone else thought of it before you did, and perhaps even did it.  So are you going to limit yourself to only 100% original ideas.  Sure, go ahead, but good luck finding one.

The problem I have with this whole issue is that people get entirely TOO sensitive about it.  Again, no you don't want your hard work "stolen".  But 1) imitation is the highest form of flattery, 2) even if you're "copied" or your work is "stolen" there's one key difference between yours and theirs - Their work IS NOT the same as Your work, so count on your reputation (or build it if you don't have one) and leave it at that.  3) Answer the question - if you didn't know about it, would you do something about it?  Exactly!  4) Be as unique as you can but true to you.  If you like an idea, you know what, use it.  But put your own spin on it.   5)  Realize that not everyone is going to like you and what you're doing and decide to be okay with that.  And finally 6) the most important...everything comes from something beyond You.  So really, you don't own any idea, you merely gained inspiration for something from some other "Source", so take the Ego out of it and let it be.   Release & Detach, it's just giving you a headache/ulcer/etc to hold onto it.

...sew many things, sew little thyme for ewe and eye...

No comments:

Post a Comment