Friday, May 20, 2011

Tradition VS Innovation...


As an artist I recognize the desire to innovate, to create something new and "never before seen" or at the very least unique.

For me while this is perfectly acceptable there is also an "issue" with it.  When an artist or other craftsperson does not take the time to understand the original art & technique and chooses to go their own way without regard for why something is done a certain way.  To me there is a reason why the technique is performed in a certain fashion and that should be honored and understood before one goes and "tears it all apart".  I feel that disregarding this is a bit of disrespect to the artform itself as well as those who brought it to be and various other people who may have contributed to the artform.

Am I 100% against paving a new way?  No, but I don't believe is disregarding something just because it's the way it's always been done.  This came out in a conversation with another artist while I was (much like now) working with a particular medium.  She commented on how she "never does things that way".  My reply was that that was, "how it's supposed to be done".  "Well I rarely do things like that, and I didn't learn that way."  So because you had incorrect instruction you choose to refuse to learn the correct way?  That seems like a bit of a copout to me and just plain lazy.

So if you innovate, good for you - but hear this artist's plea and take the time to educate yourself properly and see how things are done.  And if you always stick to "the way it's done" jump out of the box and experiment.

Thanks for tuning in!

...sew many things, sew little thyme for ewe and eye...

No comments:

Post a Comment