Saturday, September 24, 2011


This topic is of enough import that I'm sure I have spoken of it before but I felt the need to revisit it tonight as now I have a bit of a migraine from "too much thinking".

As an artist and crafter my project to do list is often full and seems to be ever growing.  This has to do with me wanting to maximize my business of course, but also because I have a hard time turning anything down.  While that's all well and good, there is a certain limit to my abilities - there are only so many hours in the day.

Recently I took on another custom order, having finally caught up on a back order from June (that's what having a baby will do to you evidently...), for a scarf.  Being that Winter looms closer this is no surprise.

Now generally scarves are easy, it's just a long rectangle right?  Sure, if you don't take into account anything else, like size, color, pattern, and the troubleshooting of all of these things....

So currently from thinking and rehashing and trying to work out the pattern (there are several arithmetic dependent points to this) to suit everything buyer's expectations my head is throbbing...dammit.

Don't get me wrong though, I love taking custom orders.  The fulfillment of them is both a challenge and a frustration though.  The challenge to create with my own hands what the buyer is looking for with at the least a vague idea or a detailed one.  To translate what my artform is capable of in my hands to what they want.  But the troubleshooting, and hours of explanation of what can/can't be done, how things must be done, and checking back can be a pain in the butt at first.

Ce La Vie

...sew many things, sew little thyme for ewe and eye...

No comments:

Post a Comment